Saturday, February 06, 2010

Day 2 - Lessons From A Bumper Ding



Okay .. so judging from how Day 1 went and the title of this point, I'm sure you can guess where this brief post is heading ;-)

Yep, on Day 2, on the way to be on the expert panel at Ken McArthur's JV Alert Live event in Orlando, I got into a fender bender. (Side note: Have you ever wondered how it's possible to have so many friends get into accidents and it's NEVER their fault? Really ... stretches the boundaries of probability doesn't it? ;-)

Anyway, back to the story. Here's what happened. I'm rushing to the event - cutting it closer time wise than I should have. And, about 2 miles from my destination, some drivers seem to be getting into a sort of race with each other, weaving in and around everyone trying to get ahead. I can only surmise that one had managed to tick the other off. All I can say for sure is that these guys made me look relaxed!

Well, one managed to get ahead by the other by cutting me off as they darted back into my lane. This left his vanquished rival right behind me and visibly upset ... and riding my back bumper. Here's where it gets ugly. I was so focused on what was happening around me and was so tense about the guy behind me, that I hadn't paid proper attention to the car in front of me to notice that he had to stop short while turning because of oncoming traffic.

I looked up and saw the car ahead of me and slammed on my brakes. But, too little too late as I skidded several feet and dinged his rear bumper. ARRGHHHH!

Ever done anything like that on the road? Or perhaps in business? Have you ever been so focused on the turmoil around you or your tension over a situation that is behind you and you miss what's in front of you? I'm sure we all have times when we miss out on opportunities or create our own unintended calamities because we just aren't focusing on the road ahead.

Meanwhile.. still plugging away on my goals. Here's the outcome of Day 2:


Share/Bookmark

No comments: