Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The World is Officially Upside Down

Okay... not my usual post, but I had to comment on a "news" item that I just came across on DrudgeReport.com. Apparently, there is this rapper, "Rick Ross" who has recently been caught in a lie and lost his "cred" (credibility for those of us who still speak some form of English). Why is his audience up in arms? Was he caught in some perversion or illegal activity? No, apparently, "Rick" (real name - William Roberts) once made the unforgivable mistake of working an honest and worthwhile job as a correctional officer for 18 months.

Sad but true my friends. There is a subculture that values rebellion, anarchy and lawlessness. They are preaching their message of hate and destruction through their music. Many parents may not even be aware of the messages their kids are exposed to or they may not be concerned because little "Sally" or "Johnny" still gets A's and doesn't have any tattoos. It's a slippery slope though.  You and I both know that what we fill our minds with WILL eventually manifest itself in attitude and action.

For me, not only is this a "wake up call" to examine what I'm exposing my kids to, but myself as well. No, I'm not a closet rapper, but am I reading too much "news" and not enough of The Bible or other inspirational works? Am I spending more time with "go-nowhere complainers" or with friends who will challenge me to live up to my potential? The actions we take tomorrow are a result of the things we fill our minds with today.  Let's all choose wisely!

You're the best,
Thom

1 comment:

Cherylsblog said...

Hey thom, really awesome blog!
can you please ask Jody to email me at clplourde@comcast.net I lost her contact info and wanted to catch up with her! :)
God bless you all!
miss you tons!

cheryl